You smell it again; STINKY DOG BREATH. How can your adorable, fluffy dog reek so terribly?!
For years, you made sure your children received the routine dental care they needed. You made sure that they brushed and flossed diligently, so why ignore Fido's dental needs? As a pet parent, you CAN get rid of doggy breath.
Bad breath, which is also known as halitosis is the outcome of a buildup of smell producing bacteria in the dog's mouth, lungs and gut. So, your dog may have bad breath for a number of reasons. They may:
- need dental care
- be teething
- be eating canned foods and stinky treats
- have a gastro-intestinal problem
- be eating from the litter box
- have Metabolic disease
- have diabetes
Doggy breath is common, but contact your vet for an exam if you suspect dental or physical problems. According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, dental disease is the most common disease in pets. Don't panic, but take action.
Now that you've deduced the reasons why your Sweetums has doggy breath, how can you keep it at bay? (Most processes can be easy peasy lemon squeezy, too!)
- Squirt a few drops of lemon in the water bowl to kill mouth bacteria.
- Give your dog treats that fight plaque. Even chunks of sweet potatoes and carrots curb tarter build-up.
- Keep your cat's litter box in a secure area that your dog can't enter.
- Mix 1 tsp of coconut oil in your dog's food or brush his teeth with it. (Refined coconut oil doesn't have the strong coconut taste that unrefined does, so experiment between the two if your dog resists.) It's anti-viral, anti-fungal, and it changes from a solid to a liquid easily.
- Plain yogurt may be the trick! Researchers have found that taking yogurt at least two times a day will help to reduce hydrogen sulfide, which is a compound that causes bad breath.
- Ask your veterinarian about other ways you can keep your dog's mouth healthy like routine cleanings.
You love your dog, but not the stinky breath. Fortunately, there's a variety of ways to eliminate the foul smell with ingredients sitting in your fridge or pantry. Coconut oil, carrots, plain yogurt, lemon juice, and the like will keep you healthy, too! Practice good habits together, and snuggle-time will be pleasant once again.