The processing of rawhides is not strictly regulated. Like any type of meat or animal product, there are chances of contamination. Many rawhides are processed in other countries. This means from the time the process starts to the time you purchase your dog’s treat, a lot can happen. These treats can be contaminated with Salmonella and even E.coli.
Doing proper research on the brand you choose will help you stay informed about what your dog is consuming. Like many products, you usually get what you pay for. Remember, rawhide is not a legitimate source of nutrients and should be given to your pup in moderation.
Remember when selecting a brand of rawhides for your dog, to look at the chemical process. Be sure you aren’t giving your dog any harmful processing chemicals.
Puppies are much more prone to getting upset stomachs. They are still developing, and do not always have a keen sense of what could cause them harm. Their stomachs tend to be slightly more sensitive than adult dogs.
Diarrhea and vomiting can occur if your puppy eats too much of a rawhide. When they are young, we are still learning what they can eat. Some dogs have allergies as well. If a rawhide upsets your puppy’s stomach, it is best to avoid them in the future.
Puppies can sometimes chew very ferociously due to teething, it can pose a risk when giving them rawhides. Their puppy teeth are sharper and they may be able to tear off bigger pieces than they can safely swallow.
Always supervise your puppy when giving them a rawhide. During teething, rawhides should not be the sole chew toy for your puppy. Make sure they have a variety of options including sturdy teething toys.
Choking is one of the biggest hazards for puppies chewing rawhides. Supervising them and removing the treat if it gets too small will prevent choking hazards. Some dogs will eat an entire rawhide in one sitting. Some will chew it for a few days before it is gone.
Keep an eye on how much of the bone is left and If it is small enough to get stuck in your puppy’s throat, you should throw it in the trash. Blockages of the airway can be life-threatening. There are also some cases of blockages that are not life-threatening. Contact your vet immediately if your dog has something stuck in their throat.