Ear mites in dogs are an unfortunately common pest. Like any other parasite, discovering them is bad news for your furry friend. While medication treatments are available, these are often quite harsh on a pet. They typically contain hard insecticides. This gets washed down your dog's already sensitive ears. Natural home remedies for ear mites in dogs can be just as effective. They work without subjecting them to rough chemicals and a stressful medicating process.
Flushing your dog's ears full of insecticides is something of a nuclear option for a problem as simple as ear mites. There are many softer natural home remedies to treat ear mites yourself.
What are Ear Mites?
Ear mites are a type of parasite that lives on dogs. They are small insects that thrive on the bodies of other animals. While ear mites typically live inside the ear as the name implies, they can even move onto different areas of a dog. When this happens, dogs can be bitten by the mites and develop itchy sore spots similar to when a dog has fleas.
Once ear mites have moved into your dog's ear they will likely stay there. While they don't live long they reproduce quickly. Common signs that a dog has ear mites are:
- Scratching their ears more than usual
- Waxy discharge coming from the ear
- Painful ears
- A bad smell coming from the ears
- Hair loss from the ears
If your dog has these symptoms, they may have contracted ear mites.
How Do Dogs Get Ear Mites?
Like fleas or worms, your dog can pick up these little pests from all sorts of places. The most common source is another dog.
Ear mites are an infectious parasite that likes to spread from host to host. A dog that has ear mites will usually pass the condition onto the other dogs they encounter. Until they get their mites removed they will spread the parasites. If you live in a household with multiple dogs, this can quickly become a problem.
Home Remedies for Ear Mites in Dogs
You should consider using a natural home remedy for ear mites in dogs as they can be kinder on your pet's ears and be made pretty easily. These are the top natural at-home remedies for ear mites in dogs:
Antiseptic Tea Rinse
An antiseptic tea rinse is a natural solution to ear mites in dogs that can be done with ingredients you'll likely have around the house:
- Soak green tea leaves in hot water for a few minutes. It only needs to soak for as long as it normally takes to make a cup of tea.
- Let it get to room temperature.
- Flush your dog's ear with the substance.
- Repeat this once a day for a month.
An oil treatment can be helpful for flushing out these pests. However, you need to be careful and follow guidelines for using natural remedies since garlic is poisonous to dogs.
- Crush garlic gloves then soak them in oil overnight.
- Remove the garlic from the oil.
- Flush your dog's ears with the solution once a day for a month.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a great solution to problems with a dog's ear since it kills all bacteria. However, you shouldn't use vinegar if your dog's ear has become too sore as it can hurt.
- Mix the vinegar with water, it should be one-part water one-part vinegar.
- Put the mixture in a syringe or soak it into a cotton ball.
- Squirt some in your dog's ear or use the ball to clean out your dog's ear.
Coconut Oil is a great natural remedy for a lot of problems in dogs, it is particularly effective for treating ear mites.
- Melt coconut oil in a saucepan with two cloves of fresh garlic.
- Allow the substance to cool, then add it to a syringe.
- Administer two to three drops of the mixture in your dog's ear, the amount will depend on your dog's size.
Natural Doggie Organic Coconut Oil for Dogs
Calendula is an all-natural remedy that is often used for treating ailments in pets. It is a little harder to find in the wild, but you can also buy it in pre-made solutions and skip the first two steps.
- Soak the leaves with olive oil for four days.
- Strain the mixture out to remove the leaves.
- Use a syringe to administers a few drops of this into your dog's ear.
- This solution also works with a cotton ball
Mullein is another natural plant with anti-bacterial effects. It is made in a similar way to calendula, but it does take a little longer.
- Soak the leaves in olive oil. You can add in one or two cloves of garlic too if you have them on hand.
- Soak this for two to three weeks.
- Strain the liquid from the mixture and apply it in the same way as Calendula.
Oregano might be fantastic in Italian food, but it can also help clean out your dog's ears!
- Add a single drop of oregano oil to half an ounce of pure aloe vera juice.
- Administer drops of this from a syringe or soak it into cotton wool and clean your dog's ear with it.
Even if you can't find any natural remedies to add to oil to help treat ear mites in dogs, the oil itself can work as a treatment:
- Administer drops of oil to your dog's ears every other night for three to six weeks.
- Be sure to do this only every other night to prevent irritation.
Baking soda can be an effective treatment for ear mites in dogs, but be careful not to allow your dog to ingest it.
- Mix one cup of warm water with one teaspoon of baking soda.
- Soak this in a cotton ball and use it to rub your dog's ear.
Oregon grape is made from the grape root. It can be an effective natural home remedy for ear mites in dogs if you use it in small doses:
- Administer one to ten drops of this to your dog's ear.
- Repeat until the ear mites have all been cleaned out.
Natural Doggie Hemp CBD Infused Virgin Coconut Oil
Should You Use Home Remedies for Ear Mites in Dogs?
With all of these choices in natural home remedies for ear mites in dogs, it can be difficult to choose one. Some of these solutions take a bit more work than others, but they should all effectively deal with your dog's infestation. It is important to treat ear mites quickly to avoid the condition spreading. Using a home remedy lets you take care of ear mites without subjecting your dog to harsh insecticides in their ears.
How can olive oil for ear mites help?
Many veterinarians advise using olive oil for ear mites. The oil helps stifle ear mites in dogs and helps reduce irritation caused by ear mites. You can drip olive oil into your dog’s ears every evening for 6 weeks, this will help bring them out.
How does home remedy for ear mites help?
Home remedies for ear mites will help your pet get rid of ear mites. Such products are easy to prepare at home. Home remedies for ear mites have antibacterial agents and, with careful use, will help you get rid of ear mites at home.
Is it safe to use home remedies for ear mites in dogs?
Using home remedies for ear mites in dogs is completely safe with most remedies. But if you use products such as baking soda and apple cider vinegar you need to be careful and not to harm your pet. With an irritated ear, such funds should not be used.
What home remedy kills ear mites in dogs?
There are many natural remedies for ear mites in dogs. For example Antiseptic Tea Rinse, coconut and olive oil, apple cider vinegar, calendula, oregano oil, and baking soda. Using some of these natural remedies should be careful not to harm your pet.
How to get rid of ear mites in dogs?
The most common way to get rid of ear mites in dogs is with olive oil. This method has been successful for many dogs who have encountered the problem of ear mites. Various other oils are also used, for example, coconut, corn, and also antiseptic agents like apple cider vinegar and baking soda.
How to understand that dog ear mites appeared?
Diagnosing dog ear mites at home is very difficult. If an ear tick is suspected, the dog should contact a veterinarian. Symptoms of ear mites in a dog are severe itching, an unpleasant smell from the ear, and a scratched ear. Also, the dog will constantly shake his head.
What are some good girl dog names?
There are so many good names like Alma, Greta, Batsy? When choosing a name, consider the breed and appearance of the dog. This should match the name and you like it!
Can the girl's dog name influence the character of the dog?
Undoubtedly, the name has an effect. Harsh dog names can annoy the dog and it will react negatively. Choose a name good for hearing.
What is the best name for a labrador girl?
This is a very friendly dog breed. You need to choose a name that will be kind and joyful, like the character of a Labrador. For instance Emma, Fantasy, or Malibu.
What is the best girl dog name for the Yorkie?
This name should be cute, like all Yorkies. For instance Zuzu, Yummy, Una.
For More SitStay Works Check Out
Jordan is an experienced author who enjoys writing about all things dogs. He loves all animals and when he is not working he spends his time curled up with his two dogs playing video games and maybe enjoying a craft beer.